Looking for a freelance writer, freelance editor, or creative strategist? Email me!
I have degrees in both writing and art, and I can provide expert writing, editing, marketing, and creative direction for projects across a range of industries, including higher education, commercial real estate, art + design, e-commerce + retail, and more. I have several years of university-level teaching experience. I also have mad organizational skills, am resourceful and quick on my feet, and there’s nothing I love more than a challenge.
I currently work full time as the Communications Specialist for the Sam Fox School of Design & Visual Arts at Washington University in St. Louis, where I handle creative concepting and project development for print and digital projects, all manner of writing and editing, social media, recruitment email campaigns, advertising, and other promotional materials in a fast-paced environment. See examples of my latest work in the Portfolio section below.
- Expert copywriting + editing
- Creative direction + concepting
- Marketing + branding
- Digital content development + management
- Project management
- Social media management
- Long- + short-form writing
- Video scripts
- Cover letters
- Essays + Reviews
Proficiencies: Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Drupal/WordPress/Economy, plus HTML + markdown, photography, basic video editing, and mad organization skills
I have worked on projects for Build-A-Bear, Soft Surroundings, Brown Shoe, Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis, Rockefeller Group, CPI Corp., StoryTrack, Continental Research Corp., A.G. Edwards, Corporate Express, Island Press, Washington University in St. Louis, and others, as well as independent artists, scholars, and motivational speakers.
The new Sam Fox School website launches this very week! Here are a few pages I built and created content for. Warning: the restaurant recommendations on the STL page may make you need to eat food.
- St. Louis Page
- MFA-IVC Program FAQ: Ask Lightnin’ George
A cheeky, advice column-style FAQ written from the perspective of the program’s official mascot. Go ahead, ask him anything.
- BFA & BA in Studio Art & Design Page
MFA in Visual Art program publication, Otherwise
Includes a studio mixtape, faculty trading cards (collect them all!), and a personality quiz…what does your favorite tool, material, or process say about you???
MFA in Illustration & Visual Culture program publication, The Graphic Vindicator.
Includes an illustration-themed crossword, two drawing activities, a cheeky Q&A, and other nerdcetera.
- Read a news story I wrote for the Sam Fox School site.
- Read a a gallery guide, interview, and press release I worked on for the Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis
- See the graduate architecture viewbook I helped produce as the project manager and writer/editor.
- Read an art essay I wrote for Island Press
- Read an edition of the Sam Fox School e-newsletter, which goes out each Monday to 1,800 alumni, donors, faculty, students, staff, and arts organizations.
- Read a recruitment email about the graduate architecture program and another about St. Louis for the Sam Fox School.
- See some print and web ad concepts I developed for CPI Corp.
- See a commercial real estate website I developed content for.
- Read a blog post I wrote for StoryTrack about a B2B Marketing video
- Watch promotional videos I wrote for the commercial real estate and healthcare industries for Storytrack. (shhh: password is storytrack)
- See some of the social media posts and engagement for the Sam Fox School Instagram account, which launched in fall 2016. We now have nearly 2,100 followers—more than most of the University’s largest schools—and our stories regularly draw 600+ views.
Check out the “Sam Fox Fox” Insta story campaign I created for the Sam Fox School, and follow Sam on all his art- and design-filled adventures in STL.